Texas OnCourse is seeking applications from leaders within the counseling and advising community for our second cohort of Leader Fellows. Leader Fellows encourage collaboration on postsecondary preparedness in their region and the state in addition to supporting the adoption and implementation of Texas OnCourse resources.
By leveraging the power of leaders within this network, we believe educators will gain a more thorough understanding of the ways Texas OnCourse can support their profession and their daily practice, and students will receive more high-quality, data-driven college and career counseling.
- Three or more years of experience directly advising students
- Current involvement in direct student advising
- Experience advising a diverse group of students
- Ability to participate in Leader Fellow activities (approximately 50 hours a semester)
- Ability to commit to the fellowship for two years
- Ability to attend the Leadership Institute in Austin on June 21st and 22nd, 2018
- A completed recommendation form from a campus or district administrator
Expectations of Leader Fellows
Texas OnCourse Leader Fellows' activities focus on three areas:
- Brand ambassadorship – Leader Fellows connect counselors and advisers to Texas OnCourse resources in their region and across the state. Some examples of brand ambassador activities include presenting at professional development workshops and conferences and promoting Texas OnCourse resources on social media.
- Content expertise – Leader Fellows will serve as content experts for their colleagues and deliver Texas OnCourse–enabled professional development. Leader Fellows will review Texas OnCourse resources for accuracy and demonstrate mastery in their area of expertise in the Texas OnCourse Academy. In addition, Leader Fellows will share their knowledge by writing blog posts, hosting office hours in the Texas OnCourse Academy, facilitating Twitter chats on their area of expertise, and other activities depending on counselor and adviser needs.
- Feedback – Leader Fellows will provide their own feedback in addition to gathering feedback from their colleagues to ensure that Texas OnCourse is best aligned to meet their needs and support their work. Leader Fellows will participate in user feedback sessions with Texas OnCourse staff. In addition, Leader Fellows will receive training to conduct classroom feedback sessions for our middle school resources and assist with surveys and other tools to receive feedback from students, parents, and educators using Texas OnCourse resources.
Texas OnCourse Leader Fellows are expected to attend and participate in the following Leader Fellow trainings and events:
- The Leadership Institute in Austin on June 21–22, 2018
- Monthly webinars (recorded in case Leader Fellows are unable to participate live)
- Booster trainings to be held in Austin in February of 2019 and 2020
- The Leadership Institute in Austin, two days in June 2019
- Monthly online meetings of Leader Fellow Working Groups
How to Become a Texas OnCourse Leader Fellow
- Complete the Leader Fellow application by April 1, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Submit a recommendation form completed by a campus or district administrator. The form must be uploaded for the application to be considered complete. Texas OnCourse will not review applications lacking a recommendation form.
- Applicants selected for the second round of the process will be notified no later than April 6, 2018, to schedule an online interview.
- Texas OnCourse Leader Fellows are selected in advance of the Leadership Institute, held June 21–22, 2018, at the University of Texas at Austin. Fellows will be notified of their selection by May 7, 2018, so they are able to arrange travel. Texas OnCourse will facilitate travel arrangements and cover the costs of travel and lodging.
As appointed positions (not eligible for benefits) with UT Austin, Texas OnCourse Leader Fellows have the opportunity to earn a $10,000 stipend over two years, representing a maximum of 100 logged hours per year. These hours are expected to be completed outside of the work day, but there may be overlap that would benefit the school and district. To recognize the district’s commitment to advancing college and career advising, each Leader Fellow’s school district will receive a $5,000 award. Each Leader Fellow’s school district will be required to enter into an agreement with UT Austin in order to receive the award.
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions about the Texas OnCourse Leader Fellowship.
Check out a recording of and slides from our informational webinar on the Fellowship:
Questions can also be submitted to Kathy Zarate, Fellows Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply to be a Texas OnCourse Leader Fellow at tinyurl.com/TXOC2018FellowApp.
Download the recommendation form to be completed by a campus or district administrator at tinyurl.com/2018FellowRec.